So... we went on a hospital tour over the weekend and have a funny side story to tell about that also. At this time we are expected to give birth at St. Peter's in New Brunswick but I'm considering switching to Princeton Medical Center because (from what I hear) they are more midwife/natural childbirth friendly. No decision has been made at this point but I hope to decide by early next week after we go to the Princeton hospital tour. Anyway, I could write a whole long post about why I want to switch, etc but I'll leave that for another time. So back to St. Peter's. The tour went mostly well. My awesomely cool brother-in-law had to take me because my hubby was running late (honestly, my BIL is really cool-- he was having breakfast with his fiancee at home but was still able to drop me off at the hospital-- thanks Danny if you are reading this!!!). The tour starts right away at 12pm on the dot. The L&D wing is beautiful. It was renovated several years ago and they did a great job. The L&D room where I will be having the baby is very spacious and has a very comfy and homey feel to it. I really liked it. The post-partum rooms are another story! They are small and with very little decor-- quite ugly and very hospital like but I would only be there for two nights and its not like I'm in a hotel. We also saw the nurseries and they were nice and I felt very secure with them. Around 12:45 my hubby finally texts me that he has arrived and when I asked the tour guide where we were going to next she said the tour was over : (. Awww.
The tour guide was very sweet though because when we met up at the lobby she said she would give him a mini-tour! We went to all the rooms again and hubby was able to see the two rooms and get familiarized with the surroundings. This actually worked out well because the second time around we got to speak to an L&D nurse about some concerns I had. The big thing that bothers me is that its hospital policy to take the baby for approximately two hours from the mom after delivery for monitoring and giving eye ointment, Vitamin K shot and the first bath. I do have the baby for about 45 minutes after delivery before they take him. I told the tour guide and the nurse that I had a problem with this and if I could opt out of the two hours. Hubby also asked about the necessity of this and the L&D nurse told him that sometimes it could be as quick as an hour and at most two. I'm still not crazy about giving up my newborn after only 45 minutes of bonding (I carried this child for nine long months and 45 minutes is not long!). If the baby is doing well I don't see any reason for him to leave me for even an hour. They are not willing to give him the eye ointment, bath and shot in the L&D room. I just really feel very uncomfortable with that. The only thing that appeases me is that hubby will be with the baby the entire time its in the nursery and I would have a chance to rest and/or see my family. So that's the big problem I have with this hospital so not sure how I'm going to deal with it or react to this policy once I deliver.
So we are now getting ready to leave and as we are walking to the parking lot hubby asks me where my keys are-- ummm, you drove here remember? He's looking and looking and we think maybe he left them at the hospital. Well, as we near the car we see the lights are on and hear "rrrrr, rrrr"... yep, the car is running!!! and the doors were unlocked!!! He was in such a hurry to get to the tour that he left the car running!!! in New Brunswick of all places!!! I'm actually still in shock that he totally forgot to turn off the car. A ya yay. Let's hope that he's not one of those parents that forget the baby at a store or somewhere! Now I tease him all the time about this : ).
1 comments:
Oh my! this is a funny story - Oscar he will not live this down! :-) well, when we got our last car that doesnt required keys to start up the engine(just your finger!) we left our brand new car running all night in our driveway... I dont think anybody can beat that! LOL
As far as your concerns about you having baby Colpas only 45 minutes before the nurses take her/him away for clean up it is a very natural reaction but just remember you will have the rest of your life to bond with him/her! I believe Allison and Billy stayed with me like for 5 minutes only before they took them to clean them up...I actually wanted them back all clean up!! lol!
Love ya!
Alicia
Post a Comment