Anyway, since I'm up I wanted to share that we had our first childbirth class this past weekend. Our doulas teach lamaze and at first I was apprehensive about it but now think it was a great idea to sign up for the class. The class was very good-- a little rushed perhaps but good nonetheless. They described the philosophy of lamaze and the healthy birth practices. I didn't realize this but lamaze is geared toward a natural unmedicated birth and its NOT all about the breathing. We learned the different hormones/chemicals that our bodies release when we are in labor and we saw pictures they took of women in labor. I really liked that way they presented all the information in a most interesting and fun way. We even have "homework" : ).
One of the things I like the best is that they gave us a list of affirmations. Part of the homework was choosing ten and writing them on post-its and placing them throughout the house in places where we (well, really, I) can read them. I thought this was a great idea. A few that I chose were "My baby will know what to do", "The pain of birth can't hurt me", "My baby will be born at the right time". Reading these affirmations these last few days has really helped because it calms and relaxes me. I won't lie to you when I say that the "pain" of childbirth is certainly weighing on my mind but the more I educate myself and prepare myself for childbirth the more I am accepting of what my body will go through once I'm in labor.
Well, with that I bid you adieu... Going to try and catch me some zzzz's!
0 comments:
Post a Comment