CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ."
Philippians 4: 6-7
Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
Luke 18:1
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Long Branch Triathlon

Today I participated in the Long Branch Triathlon as a practice run for the upcoming Danskin triathlon. For folks that don't know I signed up for the Danskin Triathlon scheduled in September (this is my second year, yeah!). I thought running today's tri would be good practice. Here is my take on the three legs of the run.

I didn't do too bad on the swimming portion considering I've done very little swimming practices. Can I do better? Sure I can but I was pleasantly surprised at my performance. Then came biking-- this was quite awful! I have been biking regularly to prepare for Danskin and have been feeling really good about it-- until today. I didn't feel comfortable on the bike at all. The course was only 9 miles but at about mile 6 or so I started to get a sharp pain by my left hamstring (my left hamstring has been a constant problem). I ended up stopping after the pain became really strong (after all this was not my official race but merely a dress rehearsal). I re-adjusted, stretched a bit and drank some much needed Gatorade. The few minutes that I lost doing this was worthwhile because I was able to get on the bike again with no pain, felt completely re-energized and cruised down the last few miles. I still didn't feel completely comfortable on the bike so I think I need to re-adjust my seat height or maybe even get a new bike. The bike portion made me realize that clearly my training is not up to par and that I need to make changes if I want to be successful at the Danskin race.

The last leg of the race was running. I was exhausted by this time but running is my strongest point so I just had to do it. It was hot and we had to run on the boardwalk which was filled with people and crying kids and I forgot to take off my bike shorts (ok, so I'm being a cry baby)! It wasn't my best run but I did it and I finished it and to me that's success.

All in all I expected to do much better. The distance for this triathlon is a few miles shorter than Danskin and I was expecting good times. This race woke me up and made me realize that even though I thought my training was adequate that well, its not!! Like we say in spanish "me voy a poner las pilas!!". I'm going to adjust my training so I can be ready for Danskin in another month. I know I can do it, I just need to put my mind to it.

1 comments:

Anonymous

OMG! u r so committed and dedicated - Let me know the exact date of the Danskin triathlon so I can come and support you!! Love, Alicia

Post a Comment