Today my family wished me a Happy Veteran's Day and it meant the world to me. I can't believe its been over two years since my time in the dessert. I don't really like to talk about my time away but below are a few things from those days that I wanted to share with you.
I remember when...
... I thought I would never leave and would live my life walking on pebbles and rocks forever...
... The sounds of mortars, an every day occurence, became commonplace...
... I discovered webcams-- I could see my family and my boyfriend (now husband : ) which was a huge blessing...
... I would go to church but it was really a tent-- no stained glass, not statues but was filled with lots of love and faith and that's what made it a church...
... I got letters and care packages from all of you and how that kept me going! I specially love the videos my family made for me-- absolutely priceless...
... I tried learning how to drive a stick-shift and how the soldiers at the checkpoints would get a kick out of watching me stall and start, stall and start : ))... I've never laughed so much...
... I went on my first helo ride-- what an amazing experience-- I have my friend Joe to thank for keeping me safe and level headed : )...
... I landed in the U.S.-- the fear and insecurity of being in a world far away was gone in an instant.
With that my friends and family I leave you tonight thanking you all for your support, your many, many letters, your words of encouragement, your jokes, your laughter and your listening ear in a time that was both uncertain and yet remarkable. Happy Veteran's Day.
Park City Utah
4 years ago

1 comments:
Thank you for sharing!! I'm sure your experience will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's good to remind us about the reality in other countries. We should not take our beautiful country for granted.Katy
Post a Comment